★ Paris Match (25 September 2016) published Randy Newman : “Mes chansons n’étaient pas comprises”.
★ PopMatters (September 23, 2016) wrote a nice Songbook review: “Four records. Fifty-six tracks. That’s an awful lot to take in. Needless to say, Newman deserves this lavish treatment.”
★ In the Thursday, September 22, 2016 online edition of the LA Times: ‘I overcooked it’: Randy Newman on stripping down his complicated music for his ‘Songbook’ series.
★ Vermont’s Seven Days published an interview with Randy on June 1, 2016: “Randy Newman Talks Songwriting, Film Work and Vladimir Putin”.
★ WOUB published “A Conversation with Randy Newman” on May 16, 2016 at woub.org.
★ “How Randy Newman and His Family Have Shaped Movie Music for Generations” – an excellent Vanity Fair story from February 8, 2016. vanityfair.com
★ The April 1, 2016 edition of the New Yorker Radio Hour published Susan Morrison’s interview with Randy at wnyc.org.
★ “Randy Newman: Still Biting Still Brilliant” — Spiked’s short overview of Randy’s history, triggered by Randy’s 2015 performance at London’s Royal Festival Hall.
“Randy Newman: Still Biting Still Brilliant”
★ “A great American songbook all by himself” — the Guardian’s review of Randy’s 30 October 2015 Glasgow concert:
“Randy Newman review — a great American songbook all by himself”
★ Mojo published a nice review of Randy’s 26 October 2015 performance at London’s Royal Festival Hall:
“Randy Newman’s Rock & Droll Circus.”
★ The Telegraph published two Randy-centric articles in October 2015.
- Randy Newman interview: I would have liked to score Zero Dark Thirty
- Randy Newman Q&A: ‘I try to shut up, but I can’t’
★ Knack.be published “Randy Newman @ De Roma: Protestsongs zonder moraal” on October 15, 2015.
★ The New Orleans Times-Picayune published “Randy Newman plays an intimate house concert to benefit New Orleans Habitat for Humanity” on August 25, 2015.
★ Tim de Lisle wrote this nice profile of Randy for the Sept/Oct 2015 edition of “Intelligent Life” magazine: “To Irony and Beyond.”
★ Randy was on hand at Disney’s D23 Expo 2015 (August 14th) as part of an introduction to the “Toy Story 4” filmmaking team. Here’s the “Inside the Magic” writeup.
★ Randy performed at Pittsburgh’s Heinz Hall on July 30, 2015 as part of the Pittsburgh Symphony’s Thursday Night Icons Series. He talked to WESA about his career and latest projects. Randy’s WESA interview
★ Randy chatted with Jimmy Fallon and performed two songs for the Tonight Show (March 3, 2014). To read a synopsis with video links, click here.
★ The LA Times reviewed Randy’s performance on the March 3, 2014 Tonight Show. Read their rave here.
★ Randy participated in “The History and Future of Hollywood Film Music,” a 2012 panel discussion on KPCC’s AirTalk program. To watch the archived video, click here.
★ “Rørende Randy Newman i topform,” a review of Randy’s 2012 concert in Randers. Click here to consume!
★ “Randy Newman — review: Festival Hall, London,” a review of Randy’s 2012 concert in London. Click here to read!
★ Randy is the subject of WHYY’s “On Tour” in this Oct 2011 episode. Click here to watch the program.
★ “Randy Newman & A Steinway Is All We Need,” a review of Randy’s Austin City Limits Festival performance by the Houston Press. Click here to absorb!
★ “Randy Newman and the Sydney Symphony,” a 2011 interview from the Sydney Opera House, is online. Click here to view!
★ “Randy Newman: The Return Of A Playful Icon,” an July 2011 interview from NPR’s WFUV, is online now. Click here to hear!
★ The Australian has an July 12, 2011 interview with Randy: “Just don’t leave Randy Newman alone with his music.” Click here to read it.
★ Filter focused on Randy from July 5th to July 8th (2011) with four Newman-oriented articles. To read Filter’s work, click here.
★ Randy appeared on WNYC’s Soundcheck on Wednesday, May 25, 2011.
★ NPR’s “Dinner Party Download” hosted Randy on their Episode 100 (June 10, 2011) program. Randy’s segment begins at approximately 11:40 in. To hear it, click here.
★ Randy was on Jimmy Fallon’s program on Monday, May 16, 2011. Randy performed “Losing You” at the end of the program and performed “Short People” as a Web Exclusive.
- Click here to read the first installment: Randy Newman on playing at the Oscars: ‘It’s not, ahem, a great audience.‘
- Click here to read the second installment: Randy Newman on writing songs about pigs: ‘It probably hurt my chances for a hit.’
- Click here to read the third installment: Randy Newman on playing Oscar night: ‘The Academy never goes for any of my trashy ideas.‘
- Click here to read the fourth installment: If you go for a drive with Randy Newman, watch out!
★ The A.V. Club asked Randy specific questions about a number of his songs.
★ The A.V. Club also featured Randy in the May 19, 2011 edition of their “Gateways to Geekery” series: Randy Newman.
★ Randy has an audio interview with ABC Sydney about his upcoming orchestral concerts in Australia.
★ A blogger for the Phoenix New Times reviewed Randy’s Memorial-Day weekend appearance at the Arizona Biltmore.
★ Randy discussed “Losing You” for the Guardian’s “How I wrote …” series. Click here to watch the video of his explanation and a performance of the song.
★ The UK’s Telegraph gives five stars to “The Randy Newman Songbook, Volume 2.” Click here to read the review.
★ Randy’s interview with the BBC’s “The Strand” is online.
★ Randy’s interview with Kirsty Lang on BBC Radio 4 is online.
★ Randy is on Jools Holland’s 30-minute “Later” BBC show in some regions of the globe.
★ Randy appeared on Jools Holland’s 60-minute BBC show.
★ Read the Independent’s review of the Songbook Vol. 2.
★ In early 2011, Randy was interviewed by Tavis Smiley. Click here to watch the Tavis Smiley interview.
★ According to the LA Times, Randy was “happy on the inside” about previews of the “Harps and Angels” stage production in 2010. Click here to read the article.
★ In 2010, the Hollywood Reporter ran a nice, long interview with Randy titled “Randy Newman is surprisingly optimistic.” To see the interview, click here.
- Concert Review: New York Times, October 13, 2006
- Interview: NPR Reports on “The Education of Randy Newman” in Seattle.
- Interview: NPR’s Live in Studio 4A, 8 October 2003
- Interview: NPR’s Morning Edition 9 Sept. 2005
- Interview: Wait Wait… Don’t Tell Me, 2 March 2002
- Randy’s Entry in the AllMusic Guide
- Sacks & Co.
- Songwriters Hall of Fame
- The Observer’s Review of the “Randy Newman Song Book, Vol. 1”
- Video: “Potholes”
- Video: I Am, Unfortunately, Randy Newman
- Video: Knowing Where the Groove Is — Producers Mitchell Froom and Lenny Waronker
- Video: Making the Case for “Korean Parents”
- Video: Our Nation Turns Its Lonely Eyes to You — “A Piece of the Pie”
- Video: Revisiting “Laugh and Be Happy”
- Video: The Unforgettable Inspiration Behind “Losing You”
- Video: To Be Young and Famous … on “Easy Street”
- Video: Writing for Our Time — “A Few Words in Defense of Our Country”
- Video: Writing the Title Track, “Harps and Angels”
- Webcast: KCRW, 25 May 1999
- Webcast: NPR’s Creators at Carnegie Concert, 2003